
Woke early.
Bleary eyed I rocked my body from side to side
inched my way to the kitchen.
Drank the coffee that was in the thermos from yesterday.
It was not cold, but between warm and hot.
In the same manner, but taking care not to spill a drop
I made my way here.
I heard of a writing device that
some writers have used (La Disparition
for example) where they leave out
words containing a certain letter
("e" in the previously mentioned example).
I guess it's supposed to enhance creativity.
Driving to work I thought of another device
that might be used, although it may seem
absurd. In describing something, one would
describe what the thing, feeling or whatever,
is not. And, by this, I don't mean describe
the opposite, as that would be the same as
describing the thing itself. No, just describing
something that it is not. Oh, I'm not doing a good
job at explaining this, so here's a hypothetical example:
"The cat rose to its feet and made its way to the
window not like a milkman delivering milk. On its
face was an expression unlike the weather woman
pointing out the temperatures on a non-existent
weather map. In a very asexual way, the cat lapped
up the milk."
The description tells you absolutely nothing except
that what you're trying to describe is not that
particular thing, but it could be one of a myriad
other things. But no clue is given by saying what
it is not.
OK, kind of absurd. But I have such absurd,
incoherent thoughts while
driving to work in the morning darkness.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Early
Labels:
early riser

No comments:
Post a Comment