
So I was sitting in a restaurant
waiting for the waitress to see that
we were done and bring the check over.
(this always seems to take forever)
While waiting I looked out the window
and noticed trees swaying in the breeze.
I thought to myself, "What would be a mathematical
model of tree swaying." I thought of connected branches
each responding at a certain frequency to the forces
of the wind. On top of that, the oscillations are coupled.
An oversimplification is that the smaller branches
oscillate at a higher frequency and the larger, longer
ones at a lower frequency. It all made sense as I
watched the trees sway. Of course I didn't formulate
anything, just an intuitive model, but I see that someone has:
A mathematical model to describe the dynamic response of a spruce tree to the wind
...and more if you're really interested.Now I'm thinking of extending their analysis in
a paper that might be titled, "Dynamic Response
of a Cocktail Umbrella in a Mai Tai to the
Pseudo-random Oscillatory Motion of an
Intoxicated Homo Sapien" 'cause I really think
it might give me some insight into why I always have
to repair those freakin' cocktail umbrellas.
And now I'm thinking, people get paid to analyze
shit that I want to do just for fun. How do I get a
job like that??? I mean, one day I was thinking about
the rate at which my coffee cooled down and wondered
how to describe that in some sort of diffusion equation.
Well, I found that some people in an Eastern European
university had already done that. Shit! All the fun stuff
has already been done.

No comments:
Post a Comment