Saturday, January 2, 2010

Legend

















The other day I was looking down
into my toilet bowl (which I seem to
waste a lot of time down) and notice
the word "Legend" printed on it.
Obviously this is the model name
but who came up with the name "Legend"
for that particular model (and why)?
It looks like an ordinary toilet bowl to me.
Should things like this be considered something
like "word abuse?" I just made that term up,
but it seems to fit. I remember seeing a
documentary about Harlan Ellison. In a
scene he signed a book for a fan. The fan
said, "Awesome!" Harlan got upset at the fan
for abusing the word "awesome."

Worse still are the made-up words drug companies
make for their medicines - Advair, Paxil, Boniva, etc...
Not word abuse, but more like "word pollution."

OK, enough ranting for now. I could go on and on
and that worries me.

No comments: