Sunday, March 30, 2008

Instant







































An instant of late afternoon

sunlight that made it through
the blinds onto the wall
that I was facing
when I was thinking
of
nothing.

Because I liked
her eyes
I wanted to
see what she
saw,
hear what she
heard.

I
'm sure more than one
stand-up comic has noted
how the number of hot dog buns
you get in a package is never equal
to the number of hot dogs in a hot dog package.
In fact one is not even divisible by the other.
Is the fact that shampoo and conditioner
never run out at the same time,
causing you to buy one but
not the other, a related
phenomenon?
Maybe that's done on purpose.
Maybe it's that way to prevent a statistical catastrophe.
I mean if everything were synchronized, then the chance
that one day you'd have to go out and buy everything at once
would be greater, wouldn't it?
That could be a real disaster and potentially wipe out your
entire bank account.
As it is, buying and consuming isn't synchronized and we
have to make lots of trips back and forth to the supermarket.
Everything seems to have a probability. Everything is statistical.
Like my disconnected thoughts shooting off into one direction
then another.

Statistical Mechanics says that there is a very slight probability
that all the air molecules in front of you might move towards
you all at the same time. This would, of course, cut you in two.
I wonder if this has ever happened?
"Man Found Cut in Two in Fresno " the headlines might read.
A nightmare for a detective.

No comments: